The Recycled House

A client came to me recently with the challenge of all challenges. I was thrilled!!! This one required me to think so far outside of my own box that I was atwitter with expectation and excitement.The task? To design a cute little bungalow house. Out of recycled materials. Sounds like the green architecture we've all been hearing about, right? Not this time.My task? Design the home out of more than 50% found objects.This client has a passion for helping out his community. He's a huge fan of Habitat for Humanity. And in our very well-to-do community, Habitat has created a outlet store for recycled materials taken from renovations and tear-downs of Eagle and Lake county Colorado's incredibly beautiful homes.

Habitat Eagle County

The basic house will be designed with recycled-content materials. Though the sinks, countertops, toilets, wood ballusters, doors... are all to be from places like the Habitat store. Found objects, beautiful in their own right, and still very functional. So every room will be designed to a conceptual ideal, and then designed specifically to match the materials we discover on bi-weekly visits to the Habitat outlet and places like that.I'm very excited to see how this project goes. I imagine it is going to result in a project that is very fun to design, ending up with a functional and also slightly funky house. Which is perfect for this client - who is very artistic and definately and out-of the box thinker.